Benefits of Gum Grafts Before Dental Implants
If you are missing one or more teeth, you may be thinking about tooth loss treatment options. Gaps in a person’s smile can cause all manner of problems, from affecting your ability to bite, chew, or form sounds properly to making you feel self-conscious or even embarrassed about your smile. Dental implants, which are a titanium post inserted into the jaw bone and attached to a prosthetic tooth, are fast-becoming the most popular solution for missing teeth.
Unfortunately, if your gums are receding, you may not be a suitable candidate for dental implants. This is because it is essential for both jaw bone and gum tissue to be healthy and strong for dental implants to succeed. If your gum and bone tissue aren’t healthy enough, the implants themselves may become loose and will fail.
What causes gum recession?
Gum recession can be caused by a variety of different factors, including:
- Aggressive brushing or flossing
- Abnormal tooth positioning
- Bruxism, a condition characterized by clenching or grinding of one’s teeth
- Periodontal disease (also known as gum disease, gingivitis and periodontitis depending on which stage of the condition you are at)
- Trauma to the gum tissue
Fortunately, gum grafting procedures can restore the natural gum line and, in many cases, enable patients who are suffering from gum recession to successfully receive dental implants.
What is gum grafting?
Gum grafting is a periodontal procedure that is designed specifically to address gum recession. Not only can gum grafting stop the recession from continuing, it can also help protect you from dental decay as well as bone loss and eventually tooth loss.
In a gum grafting procedure, your periodontist will take some soft tissue from another part of your mouth, usually your palate, and use it to cover the root of your tooth.
The gum grafting process is minimally invasive, and most patients will only experience some mild discomfort afterwards. However, if you are particularly nervous about having dental work, you will probably be eligible for sedation options. We will be happy to discuss the treatment and what to expect afterwards with you at your consultation.
Benefits of gum grafts before dental implants
Patients who need to receive gum grafts ahead of their dental implant surgery will benefit in a number of different ways, including:
- Reduced risk of further gum recession
- Reduce the likelihood of bone loss
- Protecting the root of the tooth from decay
- Reduced tooth sensitivity
- Improved appearance of your smile with a gum line that is more uniform across your teeth
- Lowering the level of the gum line so that teeth do not appear abnormally long
- Improved periodontal health
- Increased confidence in your smile and higher self-esteem
Whether you need gum grafts or not, or if you are looking for a an experienced dentist for dental implants in Palm Beach Gardens, FL, Dr. Ajmo is a highly experienced and qualified dental implant dentist. With decades of experience, Dr. Ajmo can provide the highest quality dentistry services, including gum grafts and dental implants. To schedule your consultation, please contact our office today.